Verizon DSL Blog

Testing the connection between blogger.com and my Verizon DSL webspace.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Verizon DNS

While I love my Verizon DSL (Digital Subscriber Line), the DNS (domain name server) is pretty slow.

Verizon Domain Name Server IP Addresses

  • 4.2.2.1

  • 4.2.2.2

  • 4.2.2.3

  • 4.2.2.4

  • 4.2.2.5



Its pretty cool that Verizon pretty much let's everyone on the internet use these servers. But that, and probably some other technical factors, make them slow. In other words, they have high latency.

To remedy this, there are a couple of things you can do. You can run a DNS cache, but that's only helpful if you have many clients on your local area network. You can also use a different DNS server IP, but that can be dangerous, as the server could steer you to the wrong site for a domain name.

I think you can also host a real domain server, which is more complex, obviously. How this might help, I'm not exactly sure, but I think it would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home